Spicy Eggplant and Lentil Salad
- 4 tablespoons oil ( grapeseed or ghee)
- 2 1/2 t chili powder
- 2 1/2 t curry powder
- 2 medium eggplants cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 c lemon juice
- 1/4 c prepared salsa
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 c cooked lentils
- 2 bunches of scallions
- 4 cups of torn romaine lettuce
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 c coarsely chopped peanuts or cashews
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 500 degrees
Combine 1 tablespoon oil or ghee with 2 teaspoons chili powder and curry powder into a large bowl. Add the eggplant and toss well.
Spread the eggplant on a large cookie sheet and roast for 15 minutes (turning once during that time).
Combine the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and curry powder, 1/3 cup lemon, salsa, honey, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Add the roasted eggplant, lentils and scallions and toss gently.
Taste and season with more pepper and lemon juice, if desired.
Serve the salad on a bed of romaine lettuce and top with mangoes, peanuts and cilantro and remaining scallions.